Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cashew Chicken

Several years ago my best friend, Emily Bryar met a lady from Taiwan who had owned her own restaurant there. For a couple months she gave us cooking lessons once a week to teach us how to make authentic Chinese food! One of my favorites was Cashew Chicken! Luckily I made it often enough that I didn't need the recipe. Thank goodness. I have lost the recipe when we moved three years ago. Tonight I was craving Cashew Chicken and decided to try it from memory, then write down the basic ingredients. The tough part is that I don't have measurements, so hopefully you're confident with your cooking skills and willing to try this. You won't regret it!

Jasmine rice: I add 1 tsp. bullion per cup of water used

Chicken breast or thigh cut into bite size pieces
peanut oil liberally sprinkled over the chicken
soy sauce liberally sprinkled over the chicken
garlic, about 1 TBSP of fresh garlic
white pepper sprinkled liberally over chicken
stir well, then smell your mix. It should smell strong like you just walked into a Chinese restaurant. If it doesn't, add more seasonings. Let marinade for about 15 minutes.

Optional: chop up some peppers, sweet onions, and mushrooms into large pieces, then add to chicken when ready to cook the chicken.

Cook the chicken with veggies until the chicken is tender, then strain the juices.
Add a small bottle of oyster sauce and stir.

Serve hot over rice and top with cashews.

No comments: