Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cat-astrophy

As you may have already read from previous blog posts. We're trying to catch all the mice that have mysteriously appeared in the house. After deciding to not use glue traps, we switched over to the old reliable mouse traps and have managed to catch six mice. YUCK! But I've carefully placed a couple glue traps in locations where we tend to have a lot of spiders. Glue traps are great for catching spiders!

One of these glue traps was sitting under a decorative table, behind the couch in the TV room. I probably should have placed this glue trap more under the couch, but at the time, I didn't think I needed to worry about it. Weeks have gone by, I forgot the glue trap was even there. Matt was sitting on the other side of the couch, computer in lap, working on his contract work while watching TV with me. I was sitting at the craft table quite close to where the forgotten glue trap sat...when all of a sudden, Gracy came flying out from behind the couch.

Now when a cat is startled or scared, it runs pretty darn fast and disappears. They're fast creatures. But Gracy was frantically flailing and flying through the room causing quite the ruckus. At first I couldn't figure it out. By this time, she hit the kitchen floor and I understood what had happened. Gracy stepped on the glue trap and it was stuck to her foot. She would lift her foot higher than usual while running AND trying to get it off all at the same time. These glue traps are about 4 x 6 inches, so they're not small, especially not when attached to a cat's foot. So with every step of that foot, the glue trap smacked the floor. Gracy was running around everywhere frantically trying to get away from it to no avail. I'm up and chasing her by this time hollering, "Catch the cat, somebody catch the cat!"

Zack and Sara had been doing homework quietly and the little boys had already been sent to bed. It took them a moment to figure out that something was not right with Gracy and we all pursued, giggling as we chased her. It took us a minute to corner her so we could catch her and then Sara carefully removed the glue trap. I'm surprised Gracy didn't have a heart attack. Stuck to a glue trap, then chased by her people must have been absolutely terrifying. And yet, the situation was quite the comedy act and brought bouts of laughter for all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your stories!! I could picture the scenario as if I was there! I still have tears in my eyes from laughing!!
-Verlene

Bluedaisy said...

Verlene, I'm so glad you left a comment. I'm trying to do better about writing down our fun events and I'm so glad that you actually visualize what happened. When I retell it I have troubles because I laugh so hard just thinking about it!

Emma said...

That was sooooo funny. I will never forget when Saraphina pounced the mouse as it was running into the glue trap. LOL SOOOO funny. mouse ran onto the trap one way then the cat the other way hit at almost the same time. Still laughing about that one.